Positive Patrons of society

A couple of weeks ago we had a servicing project for our girlscout troop. We were to go to the nursing home to sing Christmas carols to the residents there. Since so many of the residents were confined to bed, or just didn't feel like getting up and walking around, we went down each of the halls stopping at each electrical outlet to sing Christmas carols. The girls did such a wonderful job, and the smiles on all of the senior citizens faces were priceless.
I was a little nervous at first because I remember going to the nursing home as a girlscout when i was a kid, and I didn't have fond memories of it. The smell was bad, the people were a little bit weird (I was just a kid! LOL) and I just didn't like the hospital feel it had going for it. So going back as an adult was a little tense.
Once we got in though it all changed. It was so funny, when we went to the first room, I went up to the door and tried getting the ladies attention by calling the name that was on the door. When that didn't work I called the other name, No response either. So I tried the first name again... Well, she looked up past her newpaper, saw me and quickly went back to reading. Basically I got blew off! LOL. So I started laughing as hard as I think I ever had. I just couldn't help myself. Finally we began singing to someone who basically could care less that we were there, or at least me anyway. Shortly after we began singing I notice movement coming from her. She is turning up her hearing aid!!! Finally when the song is about 30 seconds from being over she gets up and walks to the door. Oh, that was the highlight of the day!!! We had a few people follow us around singing with us and just smiling and happy!!! At the end we all decided that we would go and visit them again. Just someone being there to visit them, made them all so happy! Here is a picture out in the front of the nursing home. Not all of them could make it to this service event

1 comment:

Suzi said...

What sweet little girl scouts!! AND fantabuloso singing Jeffrey!! hahahaha ;)

Grand Cayman- Stingrays, Turtles, Fish...OH MY!

View our video Here:  We had a great time in Grand Cayman!  We did the excursion Stingray City and had a pretty good time.  I a...