Grand Cayman- Stingrays, Turtles, Fish...OH MY!


View our video Here: 



We had a great time in Grand Cayman!  We did the excursion Stingray City and had a pretty good time.  I am not a swimmer and not super comfortable in the water, so when I read that it was good for all ages and that the water depth was about 3 feet I was thrilled.  
We booked through www.discountexcursions.com and they were great to deal with.  We had a nearly private shuttle which took us to the turtle farm (More on that in our next blog post) and then from the turtle farm our driver took us to the dock where we hopped on a small boat to go to the sand bar.  
The boat tour was through www.rowanwatersports.com


So the first thing was the boat we were in was having a difficult time getting a spot near the Sand Bar and we circled around several times before he attempted to back in the boat.  We started to get extremely close to the boat next to us and he came close to hitting it.  Once he realized he was so close he punched the gas and we circled around to another location, which then he hit the boat next to us.  That was pretty nerve wrecking, especially since I am not a strong swimmer.  I started to doubt their expertise and wasn't sure if they were aware of what they were doing.  Once we parked everything seemed to calm down a bit and he assured us that it happens from time to time.  
Everyone starts to get off the boat and we realize that the area we parked in was really deep water (6 ft or so)  I already knew that I wasn't a good swimmer, and my youngest does swim but isn't strong enough to swim for a long period and could not touch the bottom.  So some of us put life jackets on.  Once we got to the sandbar the water was around 3-4 feet, but very rocky.


The staff was very friendly and helpful.  They took photos, they made us laugh, and even filled us in on some History of the Cayman Islands.   My son and I had to go back to the boat and they helped get us to the boat and on the boat.  They rinse everyone off with clean water to get all of the salt off the skin and hair.  And they have water and punch on the boat to drink free of charge.  



Overall these are the things I would keep in mind while booking a Stingray City Tour (Especially if you go through Rowan Water Sports or Discount Excursions)

1. Water Depth may vary and may not be suitable for younger children or those who are not strong swimmers or those who do not feel comfortable in the water

2. Through this company we were allowed to take our own photos, or bring the GoPro off the boat.  I have several people tell me that they weren't able to bring their camera to take their own photos through other suppliers. 

3.  They also take photos of your experience and allow you to purchase through them.  Cash & Cards are both accepted. 

4. Bring a towel 

5. Bring seasick meds, and a small snack.  This is a long excursion and it is tiring.

6. Bring shoes that are easy to get on and off, NO SHOES on the boat.  

My older kids (13yr old & 16yr old) loved it.  They loved the Stingrays and they loved the snorkel experience.  My youngest wasn't a fan and it seemed in our group that most of the little kids under 10 wasn't really enjoying themselves. 

No comments:

Grand Cayman- Stingrays, Turtles, Fish...OH MY!

View our video Here:  We had a great time in Grand Cayman!  We did the excursion Stingray City and had a pretty good time.  I a...